Category Archives: SRM

Vmware 5.1 and SSO errors

There are a lot of problems on mentioned on the VMware groups, and on the internet about the farce that is VMware’s java based SSO.

After battling with it for hours, we could login to the Virtual Center server as domain\ssoadmin, and then start the VMware Client and if the checkbox to use “windows credentials” was checked, we could login. If the checkbox not checked, and we tried to specify the username/password. It would fail with the helpful

Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

Even logging on with another account and specifying domain\ssoadmin was no help either, we got the same message every time.

The viclient log was full of errors like:

[viclient:SoapTran:P: 3] 2013-07-04 09:28:33.153  Invoke 4 Finish Login on SessionManager:SessionManager [server.domain.int] - Serial:0.011, Server:010.665 [ERROR]
Vmomi.Fault.InvalidLogin: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
at VirtualInfrastructure.ManagedObject.InvokeMethod(MethodName, Object[])
at Vmomi.SessionManager.Login(String, String, String)
at VmomiSupport.VcServiceImpl.LoginNormally(LoginSpec)
at VmomiSupport.VcServiceImpl.Login(LoginSpec)
at VirtualInfrastructure.LoginMain.Process(BackgroundWorker, DoWorkEventArgs)
at VirtualInfrastructure.LoginWorkerImpl.Worker_DoWork(Object, DoWorkEventArgs)
...
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object)
[viclient:SoapMsg :P: 3] 2013-07-04 09:28:33.162  RMI Request Vmomi.SessionManager.Login - 4

I then looked in the imstrace.log file, and found errors like this:

com.rsa.common.ConnectionException: Error connecting to the identity source
Caused by: javax.naming.NamingException: getInitialContext failed. javax.resource.spi.ResourceAdapterInternalException: Unable to create a managed connection 'ldap://server.domain.INT:3268' with 'GSSAPI' Reason: javax.resource.spi.ResourceAdapterInternalException: Unable to create managed connection GSSAPI [Root exception is javax.resource.spi.ResourceAdapterInternalException: Unable to create a managed connection 'ldap://server.domain.INT:3268' with 'GSSAPI' Reason: javax.resource.spi.ResourceAdapterInternalException: Unable to create managed connection GSSAPI]
Caused by: javax.resource.spi.ResourceAdapterInternalException: Unable to create a managed connection 'ldap://server.domain.INT:3268' with 'GSSAPI' Reason: javax.resource.spi.ResourceAdapterInternalException: Unable to create managed connection GSSAPI
Caused by: javax.resource.spi.ResourceAdapterInternalException: Unable to create managed connection GSSAPI
Caused by: javax.naming.AuthenticationException: GSSAPI [Root exception is javax.security.sasl.SaslException: GSS initiate failed [Caused by GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Fail to create credential. (63) - No service creds)]]
Caused by: javax.security.sasl.SaslException: GSS initiate failed [Caused by GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Fail to create credential. (63) - No service creds)]
Caused by: GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Fail to create credential. (63) - No service creds)

As that domain was one that I wasn’t going to use for verification, I logged on to the VMware Web Client using the admin@System-Domain account, went to Administration>Sign-On and Discovery>Configuration, and just removed the domain. Alternatively, I could have manually corrected the connection string.

Still a lot of security errors to work though with this abortion of a product that is SSO, but at least login works better. Now to try and get SRM working again..

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under SRM, VMware

Moving an Equallogic SAN to a different storage pool via CLI

Sometimes it is nice not to use the the GUI, to use command line instead.

If you need to move a unit from one storage pool to another, you can establish a telnet or putty session, login, and run the following:

GH-SAN-Prod> member select 3700-3

GH-SAN-Prod(member_3700-3)> pool STD-50

The first command will select the unit you wish to move, and the second command will send it to the pool that you want it to go to.
There is a really good CLI document on the Equallogic website.

Leave a comment

Filed under Equallogic, SRM, VMware

Installation of Dell Equallogic SRA for VMware SRM

I had this problem a little while ago.

When I clicked on “configure” next to “Array Managers”, and then press “add”, I got the box to enter the details of the local SAN.

I then entered the details in the VC window but got an error saying “Error occurred: XML document is empty.”

The solution is to install Java. It doesn’t come with either SRM or the SRA, so you need to go to Oracles website and download and install it separately. All should then work!

1 Comment

Filed under Equallogic, SRM, VMware